Monday, October 30, 2006

Project Valour-IT

Voice-Activated Laptops for OUR Injured Troops
In memory of SFC William V. Ziegenfuss


"At that time I had no use of either hand. I know how humbling it is, how humiliating it feels. And I know how much better I felt, how amazingly more functional I felt, after Soldiers' Angels provided me with a laptop and a loyal reader provided me with the software. I can't wait to do the same, to give that feeling to another soldier at Walter Reed. "
--CPT Chuck Ziegenfuss, on the inspiration for Valour-IT


I don't remember exactly how I stumbled across Chuck Ziegenfuss's blog, but it was after he was severely injured as the result of an IED back in June 2005. I became very interested in following Chuck's progress, both from his wife, Carren, and from Chuck himself, as he began to use the voice-activated software, since he was unable to use his hands. If you are a follower of milblogs, you might already know Chuck's blog.

Chuck is now out of the hospital and back at work, now at a University in Pennsylvania doing ROTC stuff, if I recall correctly. It is because of Chuck that Valour-IT got started, and there are many of our military men and women who have gotten injured who are unable to use their hands to type on a computer. Through Valour-IT, these service members are able to be somewhat independent in communicating with friends and family. Please do what you can to help out this worthy cause by clicking on the link on the right.

No comments: