Sunday, September 30, 2007

My connection to the Battle of Iwo Jima

I posted about my grandfather, Ensign C.A. Carpenter, last fall. I've not gotten anything new from my grandmother, but I did unearth my copy of a copy of my grandfather's WWII diary this evening. I'm in the process of making notes about when and where he was, and as things make me particularly curious, I'm doing a quick bit of research. I've learned my grandfather, while on the USS Essex, was part of VF-4 and flew in support of the invasion of Iwo Jima. However, they were grounded several days because of the weather or were not able to reach the target. The diary begins on January 1, 1945 and I'm only to February 22, but his diary goes until July 10, so I've got a ways to go yet. I've come across some things I don't understand/can't decipher right now, but I think I'll wait until I've got all my notes typed up before I do significant research.

1 comment:

Tina Boyer said...

I look forward to learning more about your grandfather's experiences.

My paternal grandfather was in the army during World War II. He was injured in Lichtenau about a month before the war in Europe ended. He is gone now, but he never talked about his war day much.

Amy