Sunday, July 1, 2007

Art I like: Sir Frank Dicksee's LaBelle Dame sans Merci

I popped in on FbL tonight, and she posted a painting that caught her eye today. I didn't know the artist, but I guessed it might be one of the Pre-Raphaelites. I was incorrect (her artist was French and the Pre-Raphaelites were English, but the era is about right...). Anyhow, I thought I'd post one of my favorites. It is LaBelle Dame sans Merci by Sir Frank Dicksee. The first time I saw a print of it, I had to have it. It stayed rolled up in its tube for a while (custom framing for a print that big wasn't cheap...), but it has long since been framed and looked great hanging on the wall in my living room in my house in Arkansas. Unfortunately, that framed print is currently in storage until I get settled into a new place after I know where I'll be teaching this fall.


All I know is, I'd love to be the woman on that horse, and have my very own Knight in Shining Armor looking at me that way...

No comments: