Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Merlin's Miracle

I received an email earlier today from Haole Wahine about Marine Sergeant Merlin German. He was serving in Iraq in February 2005 when he was burned over 97% of his body when he did not have time to warn the driver of the Humvee of the IED he had spotted. He had been standing in the gun turret and was blown out of the Humvee. Doctors in Landstuhl said he would not survive. Somehow, he beat the odds, and became "The Miracle Man" to the staff at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio. Merlin passed away unexpectedly on April 11th while recovering from his most recent surgery.

Merlin seems to have touched many people with his spirit and courage. He will be greatly missed by those who knew him.

Prior to his death, Merlin had decided he wanted to help children who were burn victims and their families. He wanted to call the foundation "Merlins' Miracles". Merlin's family has asked that , in lieu of flowers, donations be made to Merlin's Miracles. The website is still under construction, but donations can be made either through the PayPal "Donate" button on the main page, or by mail to:

Merlin's Miracles
4319 Medical Dr., Ste 131 - 352
San Antonio, TX 78229-3325

Sources:

Merlin's Miracles
San Antonio Express-News: Cary Clack: Marine had class galore (4/14/08)
San Antonio Express-News: BAMC's 'Miracle Man' didn't let injuries hurt his spirit (4/16/08)
San Antonio Express-News video report: Wounded warrior memorial


Update 5/3/08, 3:44am:

For all of you visiting this site because you saw Merlin's story on the news (CNN? I've not watched TV for a few days...), thank you for taking an interest in Merlin's story. I did not know him, but I think my life would have been richer for it if I had. If you feel so moved, and are able, please consider making a donation to Merlin's Miracles to help make Merlin's dream of helping child burn victims come true. As noted above, his family had asked for those donations in lieu of flowers at the time of his funeral.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know this is off-topic, but I wanted to drop you in and let you know how much I appreciated the link you left at B-5 about the Iwo Jima flag raising pic. I, too, had always heard it was *staged* to get a better pic. Thx for clearing that up.
0>;~}

Anonymous said...

Merlin was a dear friend from high school. I miss him so much but I am very glad that he is no longer in pain and at peace with the Lord. God Bless the German family.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Merlin for all your sacrifices. What a true hero!

Anonymous said...

Merlin, you were an angel sent to remind us to love one another. Thank you for your service to our country and thank you for reminding us to watch out and care for those who suffer. Bless you, angel heart. I know I will meet you someday in heaven.

Anonymous said...

I heard about this brave young man on the news today..... god bless him, he is in heaven with the angels.

Dani said...

I learned his story on the news today. I am sure he will be greatly missed but glad he is no longer in pain. May he rest in peace. God wanted him by His side. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

Anonymous said...

God bless this young man for the sacrifices he has made and for giving inspiration to others. He is truly a hero. Thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

Anonymous said...

There are few with a spirit like his -- may it be a real lesson to all of us!

Anonymous said...

I heard you were in Texas in the burn unit ever since that day I felt horrible I couldnt see you.I couldnt believe it when I was told that you passed It was a day before I told a dear friend how much I miss you and our friendship and that you were a great person I wanted to tell that im sorry we stop speaking after highschool and that I didnt speak to you that day I ran into you in the mall because I didnt know what to say. I was looking forward to seeing you and make peace and tell you how much I miss your jokes and smile, calling your house and having your sister yelling bc we were on the phone for to long. I want you to know that I was thinking of you and that even though we went our seperate ways I still held you close to my heart. R.I.P my Pooh Bear while I have to live with the fact that I never fixed us I miss you and I pray for you ... I hope to see you in HEAVEN someday

Anonymous said...

I just recently returned to the Regiment that Sgt German served with and was inform of that he passed way. Immediately my body was stunned and I was speechless. I remember Sgt German checking into his new unit at Camp Pendleton and just like the rest of the new joins that day he was nervous and yet excited about being there. To have survive that long after that tragic day is truly a miracle. I will never forget him and the sacrifice that he and his family has made. May God bless them always.

Anonymous said...

The dictionary should define the word "HERO" as "Sgt.Merlin German".
Rest in peace young man.Rest in peace soldier...