Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Don't Mess with Texas Tea Party - Austin

I made myself unavailable to substitute teach today because I wanted to attend the Tea Party at Austin City Hall. I've never done anything like this before - attending a protest of any kind - and I wasn't sure what kind of gathering it might be, given the liberal tendencies of the city in which I live. Let's just say, it turned out very well. I'll only be posting a few pictures for now, but when I have time, I'll write more, off the notes I took. I got there early (parking garage ticket said 10:17am, and the event was scheduled to begin at 11:30). They announced that the police department estimated attendance was 1500, and when that announcement was made it was said to be a "conservative" estimate!



Uncle Sam was passing out these:




Mine now hangs from my rearview mirror...


Some kids were there, too:





Some people displayed flags with historic significance:

From the Texas Revolution:
"Come and Take It"



The 1824 flag



From the American Revolution:
The Gadsden flag: "Don't Tread on Me"



The Betsy Ross flag



The MC today was a bricklayer from Odessa, "Jason the Mason":



There were all kinds of signs, as well:













There was lots of Red, White & Blue being worn. I even wore the t-shirt I got last summer that I couldn't wear until recently, and someone was passing out buttons:



Everyone was very well behaved, I didn't see anything that could be considered "trouble". The crowd got a little loud and raucous at times, but that is only to be expected. More later when I have the time...

They did say there would be another event later today, at 4:30, at the State Capitol Building, but I've got someplace else I have to be: work...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had an opportunity to participate. I would have loved to be there, or at the gathering at Alamo Plaza. Great signs!


Unkawill

Haole Wahine said...

Thanks for the pictures and commentary. Sounds like it was a very good rally. Glad to hear it. Still at the office.

Rosemary said...

Very nice. My Tea Party (for which I've never done anything like this either) gathered about 50+ people. Late filing and all. It was a lot of fun, though. We had 2 ACORN thugs show up. lol. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself. Isn't that a twist for this April 15th? ;)

We even one on-duty police officer come over and voice his support for our efforts. He agreed to wear a tea bag under his badge! Wow. Long Beach, California.