Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Liberty & Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto

I had to order Mark Levin's new book, Liberty & Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto, from online. When I stopped by the local Barnes & Noble the day after it was released, it was already sold out, which was a little surprising, given Austin's liberal reputation. I started reading it shortly after it arrived in the mail. However, I've had a bit of a crazy schedule, so I didn't get to finish it until the trip back from the 2009 Milblog Conference this past Sunday.

I cannot more highly recommend this book. What Levin has to say is too important for me to try to paraphrase here. All I will do is say that he gives a history of Conservatism, and also of what is more correctly labeled Statism, and the threat that the growing trend toward Statism poses to the freedoms and liberties the Founding Fathers set forth at this nation's beginning. He does this through what really is a series of essays:

On Liberty and Tyranny
On Prudence and Progress
On Faith and the Founding
On the Constitution
On Federalism
On the Free Market
On the Welfare State
On Enviro-Statism
On Immigration
On Self-Preservation

He closes with a guideline for what Conservatives need to do to stop the slide towards Statism, to preserve the free country we have always believed the United States of America to be: A Conservative Manifesto.

So, if you are worried about the path the government is on, and want to know what we - what I believe has been The Silent Majority - can do to prevent further erosion of the Rights of the Individual in favor of the Power of the State, you need to read this book, and get as many others as you can to read this book. Conservatives, who have until now mostly been content to mind our own business and take care of ourselves and our families, need to break that mold and become more engaged with how our governments - federal, state and local - are being run.

4 comments:

Storm'n Norm'n said...

Great Book Report!

I've been wanting to get this book ever since it came out but every time I go out, I forget.

Of Course we don't have much for book stores here in this little town. I usually have to go to Dothan about twenty miles away.

I do read a lot of new books fresh off the presses that are available at the Fort Rucker Library, but some books I like to keep for myself and this is one of them...

Sarah said...

At the rate I'm going, I am never going to finish my list of books in 2009! But this will get added. I still haven't read your original suggestion (Lone Survivor), though it has been bought and is sitting in my queue.

Miss Ladybug said...

Sarah~
While I do recommend Marcus Luttrell's book, this one is a little more important. I stopped reading another book - and broke my own self-imposed rule of "no new books until you've read all the ones you already own" - in order to get and read this one.

david said...

a very good article and interesting to read