Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Nineteen years later...

With me being so busy lately, I completely missed the 19th anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall. Nineteen years ago, on November 9, 1989, I was watching it all on CNN in my college dorm room, in complete disbelief. It was an event I never thought I would witness in my lifetime.

I had been to a divide Berlin twice before, when we were stationed in Augsburg from 1978 to 1982. As it happened, even though I was stateside going to college, my dad was once again stationed in Augsburg.

When I returned home for the summer in May 1990, we immediately left for Berlin. I was able to see with my own eyes that The Wall had, indeed, fallen. It was an amazing sight, one I will never forget.

This photograph of a section of The Berlin Wall that had been beautifully painted (something that only even happened on the Western side of The Wall until after it fell), had been spared destruction, and sat on display outside (IIRC) the Checkpoint Charlie museum.

No comments: